Friday, July 20, 2012

"I've Got A Brand New Pair of Roller . . ." Glasses!

Anyone who knows me knows I'm not crazy about wearing glasses.  I've been wearing them off and on for several years, and I literally mean, off and on.  I'm constantly whipping them off, then putting them back on when I actually want to see.  I'm far-sighted, so I figure I don't have to have them on indoors, then I wear my sunglasses with corrected vision outdoors, so my glasses really get a work-out!  I've been wearing the rimless kind - Silhouettes - for a few years, and I really like them, except they are kind of the Prima Dona of glass wear. They have breaking issues - a lot!  I've actually considered writing to the company and offering myself as the test dummy for them; I don't think anyone could be harder on them than I am!

Sooooo, my latest incident with my Silhouettes was that they have been cracked in both corners, where the metal dealies are drilled into the glass to hold the ear pieces, for several months.  I knew that they couldn't be fixed and they were past their warranty.  I was overdue for an eye exam, so I didn't want to go get new glasses with my old prescription.  So I just ignored the cracks, except I was a little more careful with them when I took them off and put them on.  

Well, the inevitable happened, and one corner of glass fell right off.  The amazing thing is, the little metal spike still held on, practically to thin air, and the ear piece was very wobbly.  Dang, my ignore it days were over! I scheduled an eye exam, found out I really did need a new prescription, because I now have cataracts that will eventually have to be operated on.  The doctor said he will check my eyes in a year, but, for now, he can still correct my vision to 20/20.

I like my old Silhouettes as well as any of the new styles, so we sent them to the lab far, far away (I guess, because it takes 7-10 waiting days) for them to be mounted on my new lenses.  In the meantime, the optical people convinced me that I needed a back-up pair, and if I wanted to actually see while I was waiting for my newly-rennovated Silhouettes, I'd better get another pair.

Here are my new back-ups, which were really kind of fun to pick out, because I have always wanted to have glasses that are a fashion accessory - that's what the optical lady called them!

The irony is, every time the camera has come out since I have had glasses, I have whipped them off as fast as I could get them off for the pic, and now I'm doing an entire post with me wearing my glasses!

Go figure!









4 comments:

  1. That's true. I've seen that lightening speed whip off the glasses when the camera comes out- many times. But you don't need to. I love these. You look so cute. And I love your orange peel jewelry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look beautiful with or without glasses! Cute post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If there was an award for fastest glasses whipper offer you would win for sure! I'm shocked you have all these pics of you actually wearing your glasses. One to go down in history for sure. :) I think you look adorable in your new fashion accessory!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your new backup pair! They are a fashion accessory and they look so cute on you!

    ReplyDelete