Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Uncle Ron's Funeral

My dad's youngest brother was Ronald, and his passing made me think back to many family gatherings.  Uncle Ron brought his uke to all of them, and he and I would usually have our heads together, figuring out chords to many songs for our family sing-a-longs.

"Do you know, When It's Springtime In the Rockies?  Here, let me show you the chords."

 or "How about, Hammer Song?"etc. etc.

Ron was upbeat, likable and kind.
I am sad that I can't play my uke with him again, though I can't play very well anymore.  Do they have ukes in heaven?



This is a family reunion at Willow Park in Logan, and Ron is playing his uke and he is harmonizing with my dad. Such cute brothers!



Gary, Ron, Grandpa Gabrielsen, Grandma Gabrielsen and Mom camping at Yellowstone




Ron getting a haircut from his dad


Ron and Gary with their twins, Joe and Randy


Friday morning, November 30, 2012, we packed up and got off by 9 AM and headed north for Boise.  
We drove for 7 and a half hours the day before, and this trip would be a 10 hour drive.  
Roger said he felt like a truck driver!

We picked up Patty (Hal was in Hawaii on a golfing trip) in Elkridge, then stopped in Provo for lunch, meeting up with Kay and Ken, who were also en route.  We got to Boise, went to Missy/Jedd's home and changed, then hurried over to Uncle Ron's viewing at the mortuary. It was wonderful visiting with and hugging Gabrielsen cousins.  It's always sad that it takes funerals to get us together, we are so spread out around the country.  My siblings and spouses (we missed Joan and Tom, who were in North Carolina with Sara, family and her new baby)!) decided to go get a bite together at Jaker's, and we pretty much closed the place down, visiting and catching up with each other.  Oh, how I love my family! Patty went with Kay and Ken to stay in Joan's house, and Roger and I went back to Missy/Jedd's. It was an extra bonus for the trip to Boise to get to be with the Smiths!


As we were all arriving at the funeral next day, we visited in the hallway and Roger took a few pics.
Missy, me, and Sarah Bedke, Nedra's son, Scott's, wife 


Scott was elected Speaker of the House in the Idaho Legislature the week after the funeral.  We are so proud of him and for the integrity he will bring to the office.





One of my favorite cousins is Skip, my Uncle Al's son.  He is a pediatrician and was there for me when Mindy had her tachicardia and surgery when she was eight years old.  He drove several times to Primary Children's Hospital in SLC, offering genuine concern and moral support.



I love my sisters! (Missed you, Joan!)




Uncle Al and Uncle Ron married very well, and I adore Aunt Nedra, Dad's sister!


These are the Gabrielsen cousins who could be there with our remaining aunts.  All of our uncles have passed on.


These are the cousins with our spouses.


The next generation joined us for this pic.


What was even further confirmed to me at this gathering is how very important my heritage is to me.  The funeral service had talks given by Ron and Gary's children that were filled with the love, honor and the respect they felt for their father. There was the same vein in each talk of the realization each child has of the importance of being taught integrity.  That character trait defines the name, Gabrielsen, to me.

I feel incredibly blessed to be a Gabrielsen! 

Saturday night we went to get burgers and shakes with the Smiths.



We love being with our wonderful daughter and her cute family!



Sunday, we drove home, stopping at Patty's for her to get her suitcase she had packed to come visit us for a week in St. George while Hal was in Hawaii.  I rode with her in her car, and we only got kinda lost on an access road once! Grandpa Peterson, your getting lost easily gene has survived through the generations!





4 comments:

  1. I'm so sad I wasn't able to be at the funeral. I hate missing out on time with my siblings and cousins. Thanks for all the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your pictures are wonderful- in fact, I stole a couple of them. Family times are the best- even if they're funerals!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You captured everything so well! It was such a happy/sad time - I am sure that Uncle Ron was happy to see all of us together! We are indeed blessed to be part of the Gabrielsen clan!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am proud to be a Gabrielsen too!! What a wonderful post honoring a wonderful man and an incredible family! You all look so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete