Saturday, February 28, 2015

Sisters Forever

Patty was present in my longest-ago memories. 
She is my next-in-age younger sister, whom I adore!
 Would I have said that in some of our growing-up years - 
the adore part, 
maybe not. 
Now we share the same wave length.
 We never run out of things to talk about.  


She and her husband recently returned from Berlin, where they were on their third LDS mission, 
and she came to stay with me for six days, while her husband was on a safari in Tanzania. 
She arrived just before dinner on February 19, 
and I prepared a shepherd's pie and a spinach and strawberry salad. 


Next day, Roger drove us to Las Vegas to eat and shop and eat and shop.
I showed her our ropes for doing those things. 

Lunch at Mon Ami Gabi - Salad Nicoise and roasted duck confit 

First thing Patty did when our waitress sat us down was to tell her it was my birthday 
(this was not pre-arranged!).
My birthday was last week.  
We had told Patty that we always got a free chocolate profiterole when we ate there 
on birthdays and anniversaries, 
so she tested it out.
Yep, it worked!
(Kinda embarrassed, but yum!)


On Saturday, our sister, Kay, came over (whom I also adore and called Katrinka Louisa in our childhood), 
and we chatted, then went to lunch to get a famous wedge salad at Player's Grill.


We returned to our home, Patty showed us her project she was working on 
of our grand-parents' history on her laptop, we talked some more, then we headed to Rib and Chop House
where Ken met us for dinner. 


Sunday, Patty attended church with us in our branch, 
and I was so proud to introduce my sister to our friends.  
It was an extra-special Sacrament meeting, where two of our close friends, Lorin Nielsen and Gordon Jones, 
spoke on Grace

Monday, we met Kay for lunch at Sakura
and Roger, as he had done a couple of years ago for a surprise, showed up to take a quick pic, 
and then he was off!
Our little Japanese waitress, with an incredulous look, 
wondered who that was, 
and we just replied that it was our paparazzi! 
We had such a fun time shopping in some of the local stores - 
Sister Shopping is the best!


That evening, we had Kay and Ken over for barbecued ribs, German potatoes 
(a dish Patty and Hal prepared for the YSA in Berlin), 
baked carrots, Kay brought a spinach salad, 
and we had pretzel rolls and honey almond Bundt cake 
with fresh berry sauce and whipped cream



On Tuesday, Kay met Patty and I at the Eccles Art Center at DSU so we could enjoy 
the beautiful art in the annual Sears Invitational Art Show and Sale.
I was on the art show committee for a couple of years, 
and the quality of the paintings and sculptures is impressive.




As we were slowly viewing each painting, 
I noticed that Roger's cousin, Travis Crowther from Harrisville, 
had two paintings on display. 
 Many artists apply to be in the show, and only a few are selected, so I was tickled to see his paintings. 
The larger one is behind me on my right. He has taught art in the public schools for years, 
and I think he is a fine artist.



We had a quick lunch at The Habit, and checked out 
Charming Charlie's for the first time. 
When we walked into the bright, colorful store, loaded with sparkle and glitzy jewelry, 
Kay said she wondered if this is what The Celestial Kingdom will look like.  
"Or maybe," she said, "what where I will be going will look like." Ha! We laughed! 
Later that afternoon, we enjoyed Dean Marriott's class (he is teaching an institute class every week) 
about Mark in the New Testament.

Next day, after a tuna salad lunch, Patty set off bravely for Up North.
She didn't drive the 18 months when they were in Germany, 
so was a bit apprehensive to tackle the road trip, 
but she did great!

Such fun days spent with fun girls! 
You may think that all we did is eat, talk, shop and eat.
You would be right.
Did I mention we never went to bed before midnight, 
and one night we talked until 3:30 AM!
And Roger was so supportive, so helpful, so cute!
He knows how much I love my sisters! 

Can't wait 'til the next round, when hopefully sisters Joan and Cindy will be there, too!




5 comments:

  1. You all look beautiful. What a fun week together. I'm really sad I missed out :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sisters weekends are the BEST! I'm so glad Patty came to visit and all three of you had so much fun being together. The lunches and dinners looked delicious and I know how those late night talks go...so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It really was a fun time and so good to see Patty again. That picture of you and Patty is just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great write up of our wonderful time together - we did have fun! I love sister time and next time we need Joan and Cindy to make it complete - we missed them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sister time is the best time! What fun memories of such beautiful sisters!!!

    ReplyDelete