Thursday, May 29, 2014

Graduation Time



 Two Super Special Grandchildren Graduate from High School-

Wasn't Mine Just Yesterday?

I stood in front of my family in our family room.
This lovely, airy room 
was a just-completed, new addition to our home.
My Aunt Nedra and Uncle Ray had driven 
from Oakley that afternoon for my big event.
I opened my graduation gifts,
and I was especially pleased with 
the little Lenox swan that Nedra and Ray gave me,


and a sweet charm bracelet from my beloved friend, Donna.


That night, in our high school gymnasium,
our Girl's Quartet sang, "You'll Never Walk Alone,"
then each of the Class of '63,
in dark blue gowns and caps with gold tassels, 
walked across the temporary stage, one by one,
 and received our high school diploma, 
then flipped over our tassel.



Wasn't that just . . . yesterday?

Now, more than 50 years later,
our grandson, Josh, and our granddaughter, Sydney,
our first and second-born grandchildren,
have arrived at this Rite of Passage

Luckily, their ceremonies 
were not scheduled on the same day. 
Sydney's ceremony  in Mesa came first.
Josh's is May 31, in Salt Lake,
which will be posted soon.

Syd's Graduation Announcement




We drove to Mesa Thursday, arriving mid-afternoon, 
and Grit and Sherry's flight arrived soon after.
Stacy planned a delicious dinner with marinated and grilled 
flank steak and veggies, a delicious salad, 
Syd's homemade French bread 
and Key lime pie. 
Stacy always sets such a lovely table.



Syd donned her cap and gown, which are gold and blue Mountain View colors 
(Go, Caldwell and BYU Cougars!). 
We took pics before she drove over to the outdoor stadium.


Syd is beaming with her proud parents.


Roger got a pic of Syd singing, 
"The Battle Hymn of the Republic," in the choir.


Syd receiving her diploma.



Proud Pappa



Three generations



We love our Sydney!


More proud grandparents, Sherry and Grit


What a special family the Youngs are!


BFF's Sydney and Noelle


We could not be more proud of this precious granddaughter!
She also was chosen to be the senior female speaker
at her baccalaureate.


Rite of Passage completed.
Look out world, here comes Sydney!

6 comments:

  1. What a beautiful and talented girl! Congratulations to Sydney on all of her accomplishments! I love the opening of your post - a page from your personal history - The writer in you is coming out! It is hard to believe that you and Roger have high school graduates now - it was just yesterday that you graduated!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember your Lenox swan…it sat on your dresser for years. I love your graduation photo…you look so beautiful and so mature! Thank you so much for driving all the way to Mesa to support Sydney and be here for her graduation. We sure loved being with you and spending some time together. Sydney is so lucky to have such supportive, loving, wonderful grandparents!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a nice post. Congratulations to beautiful Sydney!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never knew that swan was a graduation present. It was fun to hear that story! I still remember when Sydney was two and we would say, "smile" and she'd put on that giant grin. She was and still is the cutest! I'm looking forward to having her close to me next year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats to Sydney and Josh! They both have such bright futures ahead of them and they are both gorgeous and handsome!!! How nice that you were able to attend both events. And I love Stacy's new house!!! It's decorated so beautifully and perfectly. Thanks for sharing all those pictures. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember meeting Sydney the year Mindy and I graduated from High School... amazing to think of that cute little 4(ish) year old Syd is now headed to college! Mostly amazing how old it makes me feel.

    Congratulations, Sydney. We couldn't think more highly of you & the way you've carried yourself as you've grown up. I hope Adelaide develops even a portion of the grace and integrity that you have.

    Can't wait to have you closer... mostly so I can scare off any guys that come sniffing around (I need some practice in prep for my kids! Sorry in advance to your boyfriends). See you soon!

    ReplyDelete