Monday, April 3, 2017

Tea Party, Twinkle, Twinkle and Treats

We had a quick overnight and half-a -day visit from the Linds last weekend 
because they were on their way to stay with the Youngs for Spring Break. 
One of the first things out of Addie's mouth every time she visits  is, 
"Grandma, can we have a Tea Party?"
On Saturday morning, while Jeff and Mindy went on a long run in training for an upcoming half-marathon, 
we sat down to strawberry orange "tea" and a plate of little goodies.


Cheers!

I think we'll be having another party guest at our teas from now on!


Little Fi is the sweetest cuddler and she calls me Grandma Twinkle because we always pull up,
 Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star and other silly songs on youtube and sing along with them.


Under the Treat part of this post,
I made this chocolate tunnel cake with ganache frosting recently,
then shared it with neighbors so we wouldn't eat it all.




Last Sunday was our semi-annual April General Conference,
and we had spring lamb chops with mint jelly 
(I know mint jelly is not sophisticated, but it's the only way to eat lamb chops), 
oven curly fries and asparagus.


I cleaned out my recipe cabinet last week and ran onto Phyllis Hull's old recipe collection 
of flip cards on large rings. 
Phyllis, a dear and long-gone friend of my mom's, actually, of all of us Caldwell Gabrielsens in the day,
was known as a great cook.
She and her sisters (all great cooks) put this collection together, probably in the 1960s.
I read through many of the recipes and found this old-fashioned one for Angel Pie. 
I thought it would be appropriate for General Conference Sunday dinner! ;)
It combines meringue, fresh lemon filling and whipped cream.
Heavenly!


I served it with fresh strawberries.



And by far the biggest Treat of all - 
watching the Saturday and Sunday sessions of LDS April, 2017 General Conference .

Filled to capacity crowd in the Conference Center


President Thomas S. Monson, 1st Counselor Henry B Eyring on his right and 2nd Counselor Dieter F. Uchtdorf on his left

Apostles greeting each other

President Uchtdorf and Apostle Neil L Andersen sharing a laugh

Each six months, I get my batteries charged when I listen to the marvelous talks in General Conference.
I look forward to it so much.
I chose some of my favorite quotes from the conference.
All of the complete talks are available on line at lds.org.








 




I look forward to reading and studying the talks because they are so packed with good info and inspiration.
Now, if I can just incorporate what I learn into being better!

4 comments:

  1. My girls love their Grandma Twinkle!! Thanks for hosting us. We are excited to see you again tomorrow. All of that food looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those treats and food look delicious!!! I always get a feast when I come to your blog. I NEED that chocolate tunnel cake! And yes, I remember and have Phyllis' cookbook. I don't think I've tried that recipe, though. Would you recommend it? Beautiful memes of conference. We still haven't seen it all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Grandma twinkle!!! I love it!!! I love how you celebrate the time of year through the food you cook..so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really love your new name, Grandma Twinkle! I think my kids should start calling you that...so cute! I love those little Linds and we had such a fun week with them. I agree with you...general conference is a wonderful weekend and I also loved hearing all the inspiring words we received from our church leaders.

    ReplyDelete