Monday, July 25, 2016

Where Can We Escape the Heat?? I Know! Newport Beach!

Wha' da ya do 
when the temps are soaring to over 110 degrees
and you have Marriott points for some free nights?
You head to the cool breezes of the west coast - 
specifically, Newport Beach, Ca.!


We left Wednesday morning, July 20, and got to Vegas in time for lunch at our favorite, Mon Ami Gabi.
I couldn't wait to get to the coast and I ordered steamed mussels and Roger ordered the Cubano
new to their menu and outstanding!
When we arrived that evening, we got a recommendation from our hotel of this seafood restaurant on the bay.


We ordered clam chowder, crab salad and scallop ceviche.
It will become more and more obvious that 
this trip is all about the seafood!


Next morning, we had a tasty breakfast, 
which included this wonderful cinnamon twist, at this French bakery/restaurant that is located at Fashion Island, a huge outdoor shopping complex in Newport Beach.



We took a drink break in the huge food court and I took this pic of my cute husband.


There are five anchor stores - Nordstrom's, Bloomingdale's, Neiman Marcus, Macy's and Brooks Brothers -  
and boutiques, a theater complex, cafes and restaurants.
It is a beautiful complex and a shopping mecca.

The Anthropologie is huge! 
I had to take a pic of my dream dress. 
The pic does not do it justice.
It has sparkly jewels sewn all over the tiny little bodice 
that I can only hope 
that such a one will fit me in the next life.
There is absolutely no hope that it will ever again in this one.
Sigh!


But I was thrilled to find an entire store selling Johnny Was tops.
I was in earth Heaven!

We  shared a Pinkberry yogurt with fresh mangoes, toasted almonds, mochi and mango poppers.
Mindy introduced us to this in NYC, and it is the
Best Yogurt Ever!




We took a drive south along the coast that afternoon, going through Corona del Mar, 
Laguna Beach, Crystal Cove and Crescent Beach (pics later). 
Our daughter, Stacy, told us to be sure to drive up into the neighborhoods of the charming homes, 
which we did, and we enjoyed seeing the unique architecture and the beautiful views.
We could hardly wait to have seafood on the bay again.





Newport Beach Bay is loaded with expensive boats of every kind. 


On special were whole Maine lobsters.


I had a New England clambake, which included a whole Maine lobster 
and steamed clams, my favorite of all seafood.


One of Roger's favorite desserts is Key lime pie.




Next day, we decided to have our big meal at lunchtime and try Rick Baless's restaurant - Red O.
He is an expert of authentic Mexican cuisine, 
and I remember watching his cooking show long before Food Network 
came on the air.
What an amazing treat this meal was!




Roger ordered wild white Mexican shrimp enchilada suizas
and I ordered the fish of the day, 
grilled fresh barramundi, served with guajello chimichurri and fresh grilled veggies.
Honestly, this meal was truly delicious!


Our server recommended this dessert that we couldn't pass up - 
passion fruit butter cake, 
baked to order and served with grilled strawberries, 
passion fruit custard, coconut crumble and homemade coconut ice cream. 
It was all I could do not to burst into song when I took my first bite!


After this wonderful lunch, we went sight-seeing again, heading to Dana Point and San Clemente.




Stacy also mentioned finding this home furnishing and accessories store 
that she loves to visit when she comes here. 
She lived in Chino Hills when Tom went to medical school, and she knows the ropes of the area. 
The southern California coast is their favorite place to vacation.



We heard about the yummy half-priced sushi during Happy Hour at this place.
We shared a couple of rolls for our dinner 
and had it all scarfed down when I took this pic.
We also shared a virgin pina colada.



Next morning before we left for home, we had to have one last seafood meal, 
and we heard about this walk-up on Balboa peninsula.
This place was a find!



I got my last fix on steamed mussels and clams,
 and Roger loved his fresh yellowtail sandwich.



We got caught in a huge traffic jam between Baker, where the temp was 115, and Primm.
There was an accident with a travel trailer and it backed traffic up for an hour, in that heat.
Yikes!
We found some great bargains at the Williams Sonoma outlet in Primm, 
shared a burger in Vegas at Stripburger, and headed for home.

We're now back in the heat, but what a nice respite it was!




5 comments:

  1. Wow! So fun!! Jeff asked me what you guys were up to when we were in London and I said just hanging out at home. He said really it seems like they always have something going on. Turns out he was right! Ha!! What a fun spur of the moment trip! I love all the food pics. Sounds wonderfully delicious! You two are the cutest!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful and delicious trip!!! You have my mouth watering! I love that dress, too. So cute. Hey, I used to watch Rick Baless too!!! I loved that show. You should write a travel book. It looks we need to plan a trip to California!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, what a fun getaway. You and Roger look so cute together. Love all the seafood pics. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What fun place to go to for a get away! All of that seafood
    Looks delicious! New Port Beach is a heavenly spot and I am glad you got to enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am craving seafood right now!! All of the food in the photos looks delicious! I am so glad you were able to do all the things we had talked about and do some fun shopping along the way. I have seen that dress in Anthropologie and it really is stunning...I agree! I love all the places you saw and the beautiful scenery along the coast! I will have to try some of these restaurants next time we go!! You and Dad look so good in the pics. I love the one of Dad with his lobster bib...awesome!

    ReplyDelete