Thursday, November 13, 2014

Gravy Time in Arizona

When the weather finally cools down in St. George,
we have lovely falls, winters (most of the time) and springs.
 The sun is shining, it is so pleasant to be outdoors 
and you feel glad to be alive.

I call that Gravy Time in St. George. 

Phoenix area is entering its Gravy Time
In November every year, the National Kidney Foundation
sponsors a fund-raising Authors Luncheon, held at the Biltmore Hotel in Phoenix, 
and invites best-selling authors to come, speak for ten minutes each, and, of course, 
autograph any book you might purchase. 
This is one of my favorite things of the year. 
My daughter, Stacy, invited me a few years ago, 
and I loved it and now look forward to it every year.
This year, it helped me get through my cataract and laser surgery 
the week before.

Voice to self, as I am staring at the ceiling in the surgery room 
with the one, uncovered eye, 
waiting for the anesthetic to kick in (which it never really did). . . 

". . . think about how fun it will be to listen to Ruth Reichl, Valerie Plume and Aarti Sequeira (Aerti's Party on Food Network). . . think about your cute grandkids. . .  think about how great it will be for this to be over with and you can see without any glasses . . . "

This year was one of my favorites - 
the lunch was delicious and the MC, Adriana Trigiani, hilarious. 




Stacy, Sherry Young (Tom's mom), and I shopped before we got there, then left early to drop Stacy off at Sun Devil Stadium to meet Tom and another couple, who had invited them, to see ASU play Notre Dame - 
kickoff at 1:30.
Paul Gilbert took all of his boys - son and son-in-laws and male grandsons who live in the area, 
and he invited Roger to go.


It was a Big League college football game, and ASU won.
Roger really enjoyed it, especially being with his son, Ryan, and grandsons, Pete and Ben.



Saturday evening, we went to get dinner at Pita Jungle.
I love their chicken shawarmas and their hummus.


After church on Sunday, Stacy and Tom hosted a big family gathering - 
Sherry and Grit had just arrived at their home in Mesa for the winter, Tom's brother, Jim, his wife, Sham, and four kids moved to Gilbert to practice dermatology and they get together often and Sham's parents were visiting from Texas.
She also invited Ryan, Emily and kids.
We made white chili, taco soup (triple recipes each) and Stacy's famous breadsticks.
She set this table up for some of the adults inside and
(not pictured), a table outside for the other adults and big kids.


The little kids ate in the diner.


Stacy's house looked so cute, as always, decked out with Thanksgiving decor.



Londyn is the best sous chef ever - 
she stood right by my side throughout the cooking of the soups,
helping all the way.



Sherry brought a yummy salad and grapes, Sham made cupcakes and Emily made salted caramel brownies.



Pete came directly from a church meeting, 
still in Sunday dress.
By the way, we just got the news that he made the freshman basketball team for next year - hooray!


 Tom took a pic of the adults.



Stacy knows how to put on a party,
and it was great to catch up with everyone.

Monday morning, we shopped for some real sunglasses for me, minus the prescription lenses.  
Stacy is the best fashionista
and I wanted for her to help me pick them out.
She treated Roger and I to lunch at Flo's, then we hit the road for home.

Gravy Time in Arizona is awesome!

4 comments:

  1. I LOVED BEING WITH YOU!!! The Author's luncheon was so much fun and having you and Dad stay with us is always my favorite time! I only wish it had been longer. I am so glad your eye is doing so well! You are a babe in your new stylin' sunglasses. Looking forward to being together really soon for Thanksgiving. I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know you had your surgery already! Did it go okay? Wow! You keep hoppin. This event sounds so wonderful and something I, too, would love. I love seeing your family pictures on the blog and feeling like I haven't totally lost touch with your wonderful kids.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like your surgery went well. What a fun time with your family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad that your first surgery is over and you had good results! Keep us posted on your next one. This looks like such a fun trip and opportunity to be with family and attend the autor's luncheon. The big family dinner sounds so delicious and the tables look great! Stacy is amazing!

    ReplyDelete