Monday, July 14, 2014

A Vegas Pre-Fourth And Happy Birthday, USA!

I am of the age that I need reminders, more than I used to need.

Someone told me that we of a certain age have so much crammed into our brains, 
that it is like having to access multiple files, 
stored up through all of our years of memories and learning.
Picture a giant filing cabinet, 
with tabs poking up, labeled in years, events, people, places, things, etc.

It takes me a little longer to pull something up these days.

I love the 4th of July, because it helps me remember and focus on how much I love my country.
I have many, many memories of times I have felt that chill down my spine of pride and love for the USA.
Traveling to another country will do it for me every time.
I LOVE to experience other cultures, 
but I never leave them without a fuller realization 
of how much I appreciate the one I live in.
Sousa's, The Stars And Stripes Forever, accesses my folder marked Patriotism immediately.


Roger and I, without any plans with family for July 4, 2014,
had a little pre-4th venture to Las Vegas.
We looked at cars in car lots in anticipation of our Maxima, with over 250,000 miles racked up on her, 
dying in the probably not-too-distant future. 
We ate dinner at Mon Ami Gabi,

Steamed mussels (and steamed clams) are my all-time favorites!

and stayed at a firecracker special nice hotel room.
Next day we shopped the sales at Primm for gifts,
and had lunch/dinner at Joe's Stone Crab,
picked up groceries at Trader Joe's,
(I see a Joe theme here!)
then drove home.


The 4th at our house was very quiet,
allowing time for reflection on our afore-mentioned Patriotism files.
Our fireworks this year were the spectacular ones viewed on TV 
of the celebrations Back East.


It was an all-together satisfying reminder and holiday.

2 comments:

  1. My comment didn't save again! So frustrating! I love your thoughts and words about patriotism. We are so lucky to get to live in such a wonderful, free country. I am glad you had a quick getaway and enjoyed some yummy mussels and fish! You both look so cute in the photos! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun reading of your Fourth of July adventure! You're so lucky to have Las Vegas in your backyard. Thank you for sharing your great thoughts on freedom and patriotism! Love you!
    ~Emily

    ReplyDelete