Wednesday, August 14, 2019

2019 Stratford Family Reunion in Park City

For years, we have all been getting together - our kids and grandkids - 
alternating Christmastime and Thanksgiving every year.
Our new plan - have our get-togethers in the summertime. 
Park City is a centralized location for all and it has many things to do in and around the area. 
Stacy found a nice, large vacation home to hold all of us over a year ago, so we had a plan.

Pic taken the last morning minus Sadie, though she drove up from BYU Thursday and Friday.
Everyone but Josh (internship in Newport Beach), Jake (Church mission to Canada), Pete (Church mission to Armenia)
and Anna ( youth service trip to Vietnam) were there.

Those who could make it met at Lagoon on Wednesday for a pre-reunion activity.


Londyn (who loves fake glasses), Katie, Abby and Maddy loved being with their cousins!

Fiona and Charlie

Add sister Addie

Just chillin' - (remember Max in the animal game?)

Thursday everyone met at the Coaster and Alpine Slide in Park City.
Em with her two youngest, Sarah and Becca

Three generations - Sadie with her mom, Jodie and Grandma Pam

We love our Sadie girl and were so glad she could drive up from BYU to be with us!



Our two youngest grandkids - Claire and Fi - watching out for each other

Alpine Slide time!

Daddy Jedd with his Claire Bear

"Whee," Blakey says!

Daddy Jeff with Fi

Miss Abbs

Cute Stacy

Then on to the Coaster - Mom's turn with Claire!

Grandpa Rog

Lunch at Zuppas


Then it was the Turkey Bowl! 
We have had this every Thanksgiving and Christmastime for years and the kids love it, 
so the tradition continues!
Park City has a great bowling alley.







Rick and Jodie reclaimed their trophy from Jeff and Mindy!




Mod Pizza was the dinner choice.


I'm not a huge pizza fan, but I loved this place, where you create your own! 
I'm pretty sure my creation could make me famous!


Our house on the mountain had lots of levels, beds and bathrooms.
The cousins had so much fun with each other!
Each family brought or made treats to share.
Mindy made muddy buddies, better known as crack in our family. 

Londyn made this yummy pretzel treat.


Jared is so cute with the littles.

We played two hilarious games and these two were the champs!

Jack and Anderson

Hot tubbing out on the deck was a highlight!

Next morning we drove to Guardsman Pass, 9,717' in elevation, for a hike to Bloods Lake. 
My kids talked me into it, "Oh, Mom, it's an easy hike!" 
Ha! Does such a thing exist?




This cute partner of mine is the only reason I survived! 
I was either pulling or pushing on him the whole way!




I have to say, this really was a beautiful spot!





The kids and grandkids hiked around to this rope swing over the lake and took turns 
swinging and jumping into the icy water. So fun to watch them!




Serene beauty


Cute father/daughter duo











So cute to watch older cousins carrying younger ones in the steep places!


Blakey is very popular with his cousins!



The hike out was another thing! The hike in, on a steep trail but shorter, only about a mile, 
would have been a steep, slippery climb out, so we took a longer trail back - 
all in all the hike was about 2 1/2 to 3 miles. 
I won't lie. I wasn't sure my knees were going to make it! 





Our pro photographer was taking flower pics all along the way.







I had lots of cheerleaders to help get me back up the mountain. Jeff followed behind me with Jack, 
"blathering" away, as he called it, about new science and anti-aging and other random subjects, 
distracting me from my trudge.  Dr. Ryan came running back to make sure I didn't drop dead 
and Sam ran back with more water. At one point, we passed a guy heading down the trail and I thought, 
maybe I could keep going five more minutes, so I asked, "How much longer to the top?" 
"Oh, about 25 minutes," he said. 
Yikes! As I neared the top I could hear chanting. 
"Grandma PAM, Grandma PAM, Grandma PAM!" 
As we crested the hill, all my children and grandchildren were forming a giant arch 
with their arms and hands touching each other for me to run through, like a victory tunnel. 
I made it and lived to tell about it!




We headed down the mountain to Park City for lunch at "Slap Fish" and nothing ever tasted so good!
Later that afternoon, several of the kids played tennis. then we had our family gathering.



To get us started to our each sharing times that we have helped or served someone or have been helped/served, 
the littlest grandkids and me on my uke (we rehearsed ahead of time and learned words and actions) sang, 
Magic Penny, then passed out words and "magic pennies" in coin holders to everyone and we all sang together.


It was so cool and touching hearing what each person shared.


Then we ate take-out and watched pics on the tv screen of each other's recent summer trips.


After we checked out next morning, we all went to brunch together at FiveSeeds 
and had to wait outside awhile so we could all get in at once. 
We took some candid pics.












This is a yummy place for breakfast and lunch and we were starved!




We all hugged goodbye and everyone headed out.
We all decided that we would have our reunion with the kids at Park City next time, too, 
because we just barely tipped the iceberg of things to do and it's a great place for all of us to meet.


Mindy and Jeff took those who could stay boating that afternoon.



There are no people I'd rather spend time with than our dear family!
Thanks, everyone for making the big effort to be with us all!
We love you mucho!

5 comments:

  1. What a beautiful family! And what commitment that everyone makes the effort to come. Good job on the hike! I am so glad you survived.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We enjoyed being with everyone! I'm glad you documented the Turkey Bowl winners because I don't think Mindy will ever give the trophy back. Thanks for starting us off on sharing service. The song and personal stories set the right tone. I enjoyed the discussion and everyone's comments.

    Rick

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun couple of days we were able to have together. I love watching the cousins interact and enjoy being together. It was fun to get to do so many fun activities all together. I am so proud of you for finishing that very hard hike, Mom! You are a champ! I am so glad you survived and we were able to enjoy the rest of the day together without any injuries or issues. I loved the Magic Penny song the little ones sang and the reminder to give our love away....great message. I love every minute I get to be with my family!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun weekend we had together! I love reliving it through your awesome blog, Mom! It is fun to see the love all the cousins have for each other even though they don't see each other very often...I love all the pictures of different groupings of people together, all so happy. That hike was no joke!...I am so proud of you for finishing that!!! Great lesson to the grandkids of the ability to do hard things with the right mind set. I also loved hearing everyone's experiences with service and especially the magic penny song. 😆

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful few days!! Thank you for your planning and work to get us all together. We had such a great time just being together. Rick is correct...I’m never giving up my prized turkey bowl trophy. 😊 You rocked that hike mom and my kids loved hearing about everyone’s service opportunities. I’m so thankful to be a part of the Stratford clan!!

    ReplyDelete