Friday, June 21, 2019

Friends, Family, Golf . . .and Food!

YAHOO! 
Bob and Mary are back from their Church mission to Kenya and we resumed Aggie Night at Anne and Jay's. 
They have beautiful stories to tell of their experiences with the sweet Kenyans, whom they learned to love. 
We had a German dinner (Jay served his mission as a young man in Germany), with barbecued bratwurst, 
German potato salad, and watermelon. I brought a blueberry cornbread panzanella salad 
with blueberry vinaigrette and Mary brought some yummy brownies and ice cream.



Roger is going to give a quick description of his golf getaway with our friend, Jim Jensen.

The first day, we golfed the Eagle Vail Golf Course just a couple
 miles from Beaver Creer Resort in Colorado.



I took a picture of these lilacs because my mother likes them so much.  
They were just blooming in the high country.


The second day we played Lakota golf Course in the mountains just South of New Castle, Colorado.



On our drive back to Beaver Creek we decided to go the mountain route to Aspen and over Independence Pass 
on the Top of the Rockies Byway. 
It was a beautiful drive though the high mountains.



The final day we played Beaver Creek Golf Course which is a Robert Trent Jones design. 
It is very beautiful but difficult.


We are teeing off at an altitude of 7,860 feet at this tee box.


I had a great time golfing these three courses with long-time friend, Jim, and meeting some other golfers 
from all over the country, even some from Canada and Ireland.


Okay, back to Pam. I have a silly confession to make.
I don't like to stay in a house alone at night. In fact, before we moved to St. George, 
I can recall only one time I was ever completely alone overnight. 
I was in high school, had a summer job and my family (Mom, Dad, and four younger siblings) 
left on a day/night excursion without me because I had to stay and work. 
I was terrified to stay alone in our big house 
and I had asked different girlfriends to stay over and none could that night. 
I went to a Friday night party and a boy in our ward and good friend, Bill Hull, said, 
"I'll come and sit in your living room until you fall asleep and you'll never hear me leave." 
I remember lying in my dark bedroom, freaking out that I would hear our front door close 
and then know that I was ALL ALONE for the night! 
But true to his word, I didn't hear a thing and I survived to tell the tale!
I've just never lived alone. 
I lived in a sorority house in college, then married Roger 
and if he had to go out of town, 
I stayed at his Mom and Dad's. 
Then we had our babies and he often had to go on overnights and out of town flights in the Air Force, 
but I had my kid(s) with me. 
You see, as long as there is someone else in the house, be it only a baby, I'm fine. 
I know, it totally makes no sense - it's not like the baby can protect me, in fact, quite the opposite, 
but so be it - that's my irrational fear!
Skip to what brought on this rant - our good friend, Jim Jensen invited Roger 
to go on a 4 day 4 night golf junket with him. 
He has been going annually for 25 years with a group from his past and this year 
they went to golf three courses in and around Beaver Creek, Colorado. 
I really wanted him to go, so I beat the bushes for someone to come stay with me 
or maybe go visit one of my kids, the closest one being 3 1/2 hours away. 
Nothing worked out, so I determined - I CAN DO THIS!
I knew the secret was to Keep Busy!
So I called and invited a cool girl I wanted to get to know better to lunch in our home. 
We spent a lovely afternoon visiting and sharing together.
I went to the dentist, went to Chamber, planned and bought stuff for a Father's Day feast 
and just kept moving during the day.
I took some food over to Jim's wife, Kathy, who is recovering from some surgery and had a nice visit 
and I visited Kay and her daughters, Shonna and Michelle and Michelle's husband, Brian, and their kids, 
who were staying with her.
At night? 
Well, I did set up booby traps at every door and window entrance. 
I did leave on extra lights and close all shutters. 
I did lock my bedroom door and wedge a folding chair against it.
Guess it all worked - I slept every night and lived to carry on the next day!
Oh, and grandson Josh stayed with me on Friday night (a last minute bonus) 
on his way to his summer internship in California. Yay!

For my new friend's lunch, I made my shrimp and macaroni salad, marinated bean salad, pickled beets I prepared with fresh beets Roger brought home from a client friend's garden and I served a lemon raspberry cake I made.



I took a selfie after church on Father's Day and texted it to Roger, saying HAPPY FATHER'S DAY 
and he got home Sunday afternoon. 


We grilled steaks and had baked potatoes and fresh broccoli from Roger's friend's garden, 
but Roger's favorite part of Father's Day is the phone calls he receives from our kids.
Stacy was even able to call from Fiji, where she and Londyn were there on an FYI humanitarian mission 
to build a school.



Roger gets  choked up when his kids express their love to him.


The following Tuesday I had Kay over for lunch for chicken enchiladas to celebrate her birthday. 
I always love to hang out with my sister, Kay! 


Can't say that I like staying alone for very long, but I can say that I can do it!

7 comments:

  1. Mom!! I’m so proud of you overcoming your fear! ..and dads golf trip looks like it was beautiful! Yummy food and friends back home...sounds like a great summer so far! And happy Father’s Day to Dad!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job, Pam. And thank you for a delicious lunch and fun time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so proud of you overcoming your fear- I knew you could do it! The Colorado mountain scenery where Roger golfed is spectacular! Youor lunches for Kay and for your friend both looked delicious! Roger is so cute with his kids!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I’m so impressed you stayed all alone!! That’s a huge accomplishment and I'm proud of you mom!! I’m glad your friends are back home and your Aggie nights have resumed. So fun! All of your food looks delicious and Dad’s golf trip looked stunning! What pretty courses!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This post seriously made me laugh out loud. I love you Mom. I love that you have irrational fears and you found a way to face your fear, lock every door including your bedroom door, and set up booby traps. Seriously loved reading about this. You are the best! My favorite part was how you kept yourself busy and invited over a friend for lunch you wanted to get to know better...I love that!! I am so happy Dad was able to golf in Colorado and I am so impressed he did the write up about it...way to go Dad! The photos have such beautiful scenery and it looked like an amazing four days for Dad! I love that your Aggie friends are back from their mission to Kenya and you can have Aggie nights again! What a fun tradition. The food you made for you lunches looks so yummy and I am so happy you were able to celebrate Kay and her birthday by inviting her over for lunch. I love Aunt Kay! It was so neat to be able to talk to Dad on Father's Day and see his handsome face. I am so grateful for such a loving father who has loved, taught and cared for me more so well. I am a very lucky daughter! I am so proud of you for literally holding down the fort until Dad came back home on Father's Day. I bet it was one of the happiest Father's Days you have celebrated having Dad back home with you. I love how much you love each other.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Top post. I look forward to reading more. Cheers
    organic rice

    ReplyDelete
  7. Useful information shared..I am very happy to read this article..thanks for giving us nice info.Fantastic walk-through. I appreciate this post.I have Bookmark this webpage,I am sure I will visit this place again soon.Thanks for sharing.
    rice supplier

    ReplyDelete