Wednesday, August 29, 2018

Enrichment Plus!

These two cute BYU Summer School guys stopped in St. George to have dinner 
and to spend the night on their way back to Mesa on Sunday, August 19. 
Our handsome grandson, Pete (blue shirt), and his friend he grew up with, Eric, are both returning home to get ready to serve LDS missions. 
Pete is going to serve in the Armenia Georgia mission and Eric is going to serve in Brazil.
I love to feed my grandkids when they stop by!
We grilled salmon and fresh corn and I made an arugula, cantalope, mozarella ball, 
macadamia nut salad. I tried a new recipe, Hassleback potatoes, and I think I'll add them to my repetoire. 
We had Pete's favorite, banana cream pie with salted caramel sauce, for dessert.



Monday we left for Alpine to stay with Mindy while we attended BYU Education Week.
Early next morning, while we were getting ready to leave for the BYU campus, 
look who got up to chat with us before we left!

Fi and Charlie


Roger and I were recently trying to remember how many times in recent years 
we have been able to attend BYU Education Week and we think it's about ten years. 
We look forward every year in August to completely focusing for almost a week on learning, 
becoming inspired and getting our spiritual batteries charged!
This year was extra good!


Selfie in the first class in the Marriott Center

We attended classes taught by some of our favorites, as well as trying out some new instructors. 
We especially enjoyed Brad Wilcox, Susan Easton Black (Durant), Jack Marshall, Anthony Sweat, Wayne Burton 
and Janice Kapp Perry. 
I've included some random iPhone pics of some of the posted power points made throughout the week.



We LOVED Nathan Pachecho in concert the first night!
He has a beautiful voice and was so charismatic.


There were several of the great classes in the Marriott Center.


Roger took a quick pic of Marvin Goldstein, Vanessa Joy and Janice Kapp Perry.
Janice lost her husband in July and there were many poignant moments in word and song.


Mindy met us for dinner at Bombay House and a concert of the Deseret Strings. 
What incredible talent each of these BYU faculty members have!


We're still rarin' to go on the third day!






A real bonus, on our fourth afternoon, as we were last-minute shopping in the BYU Bookstore 
before leaving for St. George, we ran into Sarah Bedke, my cousin Scott's wife from Oakley, Idaho. 
We haven't seen Sarah for a long time - she had a serious health scare, but seems to be doing great now. 
She was enjoying Ed Week with her four sisters and told us that next week their adult families 
are going on a McCall vacation together with Aunt Nedra, Scott's mom, who is still doing great. 
She's the last Gabrielsen sibling. Their lives are so busy with Scott being the Speaker of the House in Idaho.


Then, two minutes later, we ran into Linda Taylor, my close Kappa Delta roommate/sister from USU.
She was at Ed Week with her husband, Bob, who we also know, but he was in a class.
I love this girl!


We arrived home Friday night, where Rick, Jodie and Abby were staying in our home so Abby, 
who is on her school's tennis team, could play in a tournament Friday and Saturday. 
We watched her play in two matches on Saturday. 
She is a good little tennis player; she can hit great returns!
I'm sad we didn't get any pics!

Saturday afternoon was the annual Branch Picnic at the Ence home in Pine Valley.
It is a smashing success every year and so well attended. Everyone brings their friends, relatives, neighbors and there is always such a welcoming, festive air among these wonderful people. 
This year the couple who headed it up (Randy is in the cattle ranching business) 
provided steaks for everyone and we all brought yummy salads and desserts. 
I love this woman! Janice Ence has been my visiting/ministering teacher all 14 years we have lived in St. George. 
She is one of the most generous, caring and fun women I have ever known!


And the most enriching influence of my life just turned 74 on Monday, August 27!
What a wonderful journey it has been married to this amazing guy!


Roger golfed 18 holes with his golf buddies and I made him a mango smoothie 
and Rhee's, cinnamon toast the right way.
That night, I made a fresh corn and black bean salad 
to go with one of his all-time favorites, Sloppy Joes!
I made a fresh peach cobbler for dessert.


August truly was filled with Enrichment Plus!

5 comments:

  1. I'm so jealous of your Education Week attendance. Some day I'll be able to go again. So fun you ran into Sarah. Happy birthday to Roger! He is an amazing guy and what a blessing he is in our family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for sharing all those inspirational quotations. I'm so glad you got to have this wonderful experience again. I also love how you share all your delicious food! I can almost taste it! Happy birthday, dear Roger!!

    ReplyDelete

  3. Education Week looks like lots of fun with so many great classes, concerts and time with friends and family! Your branch picnic sounds wonderful! Please give Roger a big hug from me and tell him Happy Belated Birthday from one of his favorite sisters-in-law - love you guys!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun couple weeks!!! Education week sounds like it was awesome! Thanks for sharing some slides..the one about music is crazy! I didn’t know that. I need to up my music game.😀 lucky you ran into Sarah..I don’t know her very well but she is one of my inspirations. She unknowingly helped me through a really rough time once when She taught me her family motto: we can do hard things.
    Happy Birthday to one of my favorite people on the planet! Love you dad!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow a visit from Pete, education week, branch parties and Dads birthday celebration with delicious food!! That’s a fun month. Thanks for always staying with me and inviting me to the performances at education week. It’s so fun having you here every year!!

    ReplyDelete