Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Roger's Birthday and Summer Is Winding Down

My young-looking, dear husband, Roger, turned . . .
. . . oh, so hard to believe . . .
72 on August 27.
That's not 27 on August 72
(well, I guess that wouldn't work,
but, no, I didn't invert the number)!
Yikes!
Where did the years go?
We will celebrate our 49th wedding anniversary next December.
Yikes!
I am so very lucky to have Roger for my sweetheart 
and we are so blessed!

On the day of his birthday was the Branch Annual Picnic at Jay and Janice Ence's cabin,
so we celebrated his birthday there.


I love this good man!


As we arrived, the entire branch, neighbors and friends (over 100 people attended)
sang Happy Birthday to Roger!


Janice and Jay open up their beautiful summer home in Pine Valley
 for a fun Branch and Friends Party every year.


They always have barbecued meats, baked beans and corn on the cob, and everyone brings something delicious -
 salads, desserts, side dishes.



 It's so fun to catch up with everyone near summer's end.



It has been a great summer, in and out of town.


Roger has played golf early every Monday morning when we're in town with some fun cronies, 
not only at Sunbrook
but at some other fun golf courses in the area.


Sand Hollow Golf Course 

We have had some passing-through company, including some of our kids and friends.

Jack, Fiona, Jeff, Mindy, Charlie and Addie Lind

Maddy and Londyn Young
 

We have had a few occasions to dress-up.
(Our sweet daughter, Stacy, gave me her cute kimono,
saying that I will probably wear it more. 
What a thoughtful daughter!)


And I have experimented with a few recipes with the summer harvest.
I don't have pics of all,
but here are a few:
I have kind of challenged myself to come home from grocery shopping with new ingredients 
I haven't used in my cooking before. 
Here I tried fresh fig, banana and walnut muffins.


I made this potato salad with new potatoes and a yummy aioli recipe.


Roger and I grill salmon almost every Sunday, 
and I have tried several different ways to do it .
We both really enjoyed this.

Sesame Ginger Salmon.
Here is the recipe:
I marinated the salmon filets overnight in this - 
Combine 1/4 cup olive oil, 2 Tbsp. soy sauce, 2 Tbsp. rice vinegar, 2 Tbsp. sesame oil, 2 Tbsp. brown sugar, 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped, 1 Tbsp. grated fresh ginger, 1 Tbsp. sesame seeds, 4 finely chopped onions.
I put the salmon in a large zip lock bag and poured the marinade over.
I made a Honey Ginger Glaze with:
2 Tbsp. honey, 1 tsp. soy sauce, 1 tsp. sesame oil, 1/2 tsp. Siracha, or whatever hot sauce you like, 1/2 tsp. of grated, fresh ginger, 1/2 tsp. of sesame seeds.
Roger grilled the drained salmon outside on the grill,
then slathered the filets with the honey ginger glaze while cooking and poured the rest on it after it was done.

I know that these are pretty common ingredients and when you read through the recipe, 
you'll think you have made variations of this 100 times, but combined in this way, 
we thought the salmon was outstanding.




Then a real "find" was this next one.
We had purchased a large, sweet honey dew melon while up north.
We ate a little bit of it, then I wondered how just the two of us were going to eat the rest of it.
My kids know that I can't throw good food away, 
so I got on the internet and found this jewel.
It made a lot, and we had it several times and practically licked the bowl every time.

Honey Dew Cucumber Gazpacho, garnished with Mint Almond and Feta Pesto:
Soup:
1/4 cup chopped shallot or onion, 1 garlic clove, 1 Tbsp. EV olive oil, 1/4 cup white wine, 1 honey dew melon (about 3 1/2 cups), 1 large or 2 small cucumbers (2 cups), 1 Tbsp. fresh squeezed lemon or lime juice, a little heat, whether a jalapeno or cayenne-based seasoning or hot sauce
Instructions: mince and saute the onions and garlic in the olive oil until translucent. Add the wine and reduce to a syrup and set aside to cool. Cut the melon in half, scoop out the seeds and cut up the flesh. Add to food processor. Peel the cucumber, cut in half horizontally and scoop out the seeds and cut into 1 inch chunks. Add to food processor. Add the "heat" you want, add the lemon juice and puree the soup until smooth.
Mint Almond and Feta Pesto:
1/4 cups fresh mint, 1 Tbsp. Feta cheese, 1 Tbsp. raw almonds, 3 1/2 Tbsp. EV olive oil, 1/2 tsp. fresh squeezed lemon juice, 1/4 tsp. minced garlic, pinch of sea salt
Whirl these all up in the food processor. 
I didn't necessarily use the exact amounts of these ingredients. I would just taste, then add more lemon juice, cheese, etc.
Chill soup and garnish with the pesto at room temperature.
I broiled a cut-up baguette brushed with olive oil, then we ate some of the pesto spread on the  crunchy slices of baguette.



I think this is our new favorite soup!


Well, as you all know who know me, I hate the heat,
 but I think we have managed to enjoy a pretty great summer, 
in spite of it!
Now, on to fall!

6 comments:

  1. Oh yum! Thank you so much for sharing the recipes! Happy birthday to Roger! He is the youngest 72 year old in the world, I'm sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday to Roger!! He's the best and a wonderful companion and father/grandfather. You both look amazing. I love your cute red top and shoes. Thanks for the recipes. You are an amazing cook. So glad you survived the St. George summer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy birthday to my never aging dad!!! Dad looks so happy at that party. I love it! You both look fantastic and I love that kimono on you. It's darling!! All of the food sounds delicious and what a fun thing to try new ingredients. I love that!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I still can't believe Dad is 72! He looks so handsome and happy at the fun branch picnic (and you look so pretty). I am so happy they all sang happy birthday to him. I am also happy Dad has been able to golf with his buddies on Mondays...I know how much he loves to golf! I absolutely LOVE the silk wrap on you Mom...it looks so pretty with your Kate Spade necklace and you look absolutely beautiful in that photo! I am going to try your recipes you posted...the salmon looks so yummy and so does the gazpacho! Sydney is coming to town this week so I will make them with her! Thanks for sharing!!! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A very Happy Belated Birthday to Roger - you are looking good for 72!! Pam you look so pretty in that kimono and your necklace matches perfectly! You also look great in that red top with the jeans! Your new recipe experiments all look so yummy - you are truly a gormet cook! (I am saving your chokecherry jam for you!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This food looks amazing! I am excited to try these recipes.

    ReplyDelete