Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Hangin' Around Home


As much as we like to hit the road,
going to visit our kids and grandkids or on get-aways together,
we also love to hang around home.
We live around some pretty awesome people and our Branch in our church has such fun get-togethers.
Every spring we have a potluck picnic with the Branch providing grilled burgers and hot dogs.

I previously talked about our Branch INSTA-CHOIR assignment from the Stake 
to provide the music for the morning session of Stake Conference on April 24.
I was overwhelmed with the support I received.
Our branch has less than 200 members and 45 of them sang in our choir. 
Many rearranged their schedules so they would be in town (sometimes couples take the opportunity 
to travel on Stake Conference weekend), 
they attended all rehearsals, morning and evening, and they did all of this with cheer and excitement.
We considered it an honor to bring the Lord's spirit to Stake Conference with our music.
It was held in the Stake Center and was televised to two other buildings.
We sang, "The Lord Is My Shepherd" for the prelude, 
"Love At Home," with a couple who sang the first verse in beautiful harmony, 
and concluded with, "I Know That My Redeemer Lives!".
Beverly Bradley, my dear friend and fabulous musician accompanied on the piano,
and Teague Lawrence of the 1st Ward, who has occasionally played for INSTA-CHOIR since he was in Primary 
and is now a senior in high school, played the violin for all three numbers.

Choir members and congregation alike (not to mention their humble choir director)
thrilled to the overwhelming spirit we felt, particularly on the last number.

That afternoon, our Branch had a Walk-About to a couple of the members' homes.
It's a great way to get better acquainted with each other and it was a great cap to Stake Conference weekend.

My cute next-door neighbor, Lilian, and I went to the Relief Society luncheon together. 
Though not active, she loves to go to all of the RS activities.
I divided the sisters tables up and led them in a little song, sung to the tune of "Count Your Many Blessings."


On May 11, Roger played in the annual Chamber of Commerce Golf Tournament, 
held this year at Sunbrook. 
As residents, we were able to arrange the lunch afterwards
 to be held in the Sunbrook Center at a much-reduced rate.
It was a beautiful day and Roger thoroughly enjoyed it.



We had Anne and Jay over for dinner on May 13 for our Aggie Night.
Our friendship goes back to our USU days together and it just continues to grow.
We missed Bob and Mary, who will be returning form their mission to the Philippines in the fall.



We prepared spicy and sweet grilled salmon, celery slaw, twice-baked potatoes and steamed asparagus.
Anne brought the most delicious home-made chocolate chip cookies, snickerdoodles and ice cream.
I used my Mother's Day gift silver place mats and I love them!


And here is a quick little before and after.
One of Roger's clients has a great garden, and, on occasion, 
he gives Roger a call to come and get some of his marvelous produce.
Roger brought home artichokes, kohlrabi, beets and beet greens and Swiss chard.


I steamed the artichokes with fresh garlic, sauteed the beet greens in olive oil and chopped garlic, 
roasted the beets and made a kohlrabi, carrot, celery and onion slaw.
We enjoyed a delicious veggie dinner that night.


So that about catches up what we've up to, 
home in sunny St. George.
Thursday we're off again to go up north for Roger to run in the half-marathon in Ogden 
(with several family members).
 We'll also decorate Mom and Dad's graves with my siblings (we'll miss you, Kay) in Logan, 
 and Roger's Dad's and brother's graves with his mom in Ogden. 

It's fun to go and it's always fun to come back home!



6 comments:

  1. I wish I could be with all of you for Memorial's Day. I love your placemats, too. And I love your before and after veggie dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have NO idea what to do with those veggies!..ok maybe the artichoke but the others??? You are so great to figure out how to make everything delicious! I wish I could've been to that stake insta choir .. I know how much time and more importantly LOVE you put into those numbers. Your ward is lucky to have you as theimusic director

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with Missy on those veggies. I'd only know how to cook the artichokes. Looks awesome! I wish I could've heard your choir in their stake conference debut! I can only imagine how awesome it sounded. I know how hard you worked on that and am so happy it went so well. What an awesome branch you have!!! And they are lucky to have the best choir director!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You do live in a wonderful branch and have so many fun parties and activities. The "Walk About", "Purse onal Journey" and barbecue looked like fun! I wish I could have heard your choir sing - it sounds like you all did a super job! Those veggies bring back memories - dad loved beet greens and artichokes were always such a treat!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are so blessed to live in such a beautiful part of the world surrounded by fun friends! I love how creative you are with your cooking! I would just kind of stare at those veggies with a blank stare! =) Pretty cool you got 1/4 of your ward to come up for choir! I'm sure it was beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so glad you had so much support for your insta choir at stake conference! They are so lucky to have you lead them and put so much love and thought into your calling!

    Your branch sounds like you know how to have fun and organize such great activities! I loved all the pics. And wow! Those tasty and pretty looking veggies! Yum!

    ReplyDelete