Friday, March 4, 2016

"Fire & Ice," Provo City Center Temple and Forever Families

The 12th Annual Fire & Ice, a fund-raising dinner, silent and live auction 
benefiting needs-based scholarships to Dixie State University
was held February 26, and Roger and I were invited to attend and sit at NAI's table.
Roger dusted off his tux from Murdock Travel days.
He still fit in it nicely, don't you think?
We enjoyed a fun evening together, running into friends from the branch and the community.


And speaking of fire and ice,
this historic Provo Tabernacle, constructed from 1883-1898,


was severely burned in a four-alarm fire on a cold December 17, 2010.






The First Presidency determined to restore it to become a temple,
so the entire structure was raised up and rebuilt.


The original intricately-carved pulpit was found intact,
and is one of the few original furnishings.


And the Church has been meticulous in documenting every detail 
 used to restore this truly lovely and beloved building.


The architecture and design motifs of the new building pay homage 
to the tabernacle's legacy. 
From the hinges on the doors to the intricacies of the woodwork,
 the temple gives a glimpse of a time long passed.
There are exquisite chandeliers and stained-lass windows, beautiful art, rich murals, 
millwork and furniture and carpets and decorations of all kinds.


The Open House before its dedication is soon to be over. 
Roger got tickets for us to go through the Open House on Tuesday morning, March 1, 
so we headed north on Monday afternoon and stayed with Mindy and Jeff Monday night.


We both experienced strong spiritual feelings in this lovely representative of the past,
especially when we entered the Celestial Room.
What a marvelous old/new House of the Lord,
where we can go to be sealed to our families forever!


After visiting Grandma and getting my hair done, we stopped by to visit Rick, Jodie and Kids.
  His knee is healing up nicely.
  We stayed another night with the Linds 
and caught up with Mindy and Jeff, Jack, Addie, Charlie and Fiona, who is walking everywhere - so cute! 
Kind of random, but along the lines of family happiness, 
I took a pic of this wisdom that is on Marilyn and Serge Woodruff's wall. 
Marilyn is one of my visiting teaching ladies.


And this special limited edition pastel of Christ with the little children is also there.
I think they are both rather fitting on the subject of eternal families.


It was a quick and fruitful trip Up North.

9 comments:

  1. That temple is beautiful. I'm glad you got to go see it. What happened to Rick's knee? Did I miss something?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rick had to have acl replacement surgery. It has been quite grueling for him, with lots of pain and sleepless nights. He is about a month out, and it is progressing and he is limping around, has lost ten pounds, but so glad to have it behind him. He promised Jodie no more church basketball. I think the last time Roger sprained his ankle so long ago, I got that same promise.

      Delete
  2. I love reading about your adventures! I love and miss you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I miss you, sweet Syd, and think about you and Jake often and wonder how you are doing. You are both very special to me and I would love to hear of your adventures and see pics. You hav entered into aa whole new culture and must be leaning so much! Grandpa and I hope to come visit you next January.

      Delete
  3. I love the picture of you and Roger at the fund raiser - you both look great! That Provo City Center Temple is so beautiful - I love all of the wood work and the fact that they preserved the wonderful history and style of the building. You wrote the temple's story so well! I am glad that Rick's knee is healing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You and Dad look so beautiful/handsome in the photo at the fundraiser dinner. That is amazing that dad still fits in his tux! I am so glad you got to see the Provo Temple during the open house. I was able to go see it last weekend while I was in Utah for a girls trip. I LOVE all the woodwork, stained glass and details like the hinges and lights. I love when things are restored to be even more beautiful than they once were. What a special temple!

    ReplyDelete
  5. P.S. I love wooden sign your friend has hanging in her home. Great words of wisdom for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How great that you were able to attend the temple open house. I tried to get tickets but they were gone the weekend we were there. You and Roger do look stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that saying on your vters wall. It's SO true!! I am so glad dad got tix to the open house bc it meant I got to see you both! I love it when you stay here!! The new temple looks stunning. I can't wait to do a session there. Great pics and write up about it. I learned a lot!

    ReplyDelete