Tuesday, January 9, 2018

50th Wedding Anniversary Celebration!


Fifty years? Already?
On December 14, 1967, Roger and I were married in the Salt Lake Temple for time and eternity.
It was the last day the temple was open before the new year
and we wanted to get married between quarters at USU.
In those days, brides (who hadn't done so to serve a mission, etc),
would usually take out their endowments the same day that they were married.
That made for a very long day, with our reception following that night.
We left from Ogden for the Salt Lake Temple very early to make the 7 AM session.  It was an extremely blustery day with snow and sleet falling and record-breaking winds.
As I walked out the door of Roger's home in the dark, arms laden with bridal stuff,
the screen door nearly blew off its hinges.
The wind was blowing sleet so hard in my face that I really could not see!
I stood frozen, not knowing which direction to walk.
Roger came up behind me and guided me to the car.

He has been guiding me, literally and figuratively, ever since in his patient, loving way.
Best decision I ever made was to marry this man!


We are going to celebrate in March/April on a Mediterranean Cruise with our kids and their spouses.
but Roger arranged for us to have a two-night get-away to Las Vegas on our anniversary.
We have enjoyed staying at the Aria in the past.
and they treated us royally with an upgrade to a junior suite and other goodies.




Their lobby was gay and festive, the mistletoe appropriate for the occasion.


But I get ahead of myself.
On the drive to Las Vegas, we stopped for lunch at the best Mexican restaurant in St. George -
Los Lupes in Mesquite!
I know, silly joke!



We did some Christmas shopping in the outlets off Charleston Ave.


Roger made reservations for our anniversary dinner at this wonderful French restaurant, Le Cirque.



The prix fixe menu included choices of amazing appetizers, entrees, desserts, French candies and macarons.
Our meals were divine!
As a gift after the meal, we were presented with a little red box.
When you pull out each drawer, there is a small bonbon inside.








We are always amazed at the Bellagio's Christmas decorations with live flowers in the terrarium.







The walkways are lovely mosaics and liquid chocolate pours from the ceiling in Jean Philippe Patisserie.



My 50th Anniversary present from Roger - I am thrilled!







Next day, we had lunch in Mon Ami Gabi and had the fruits de mere platter for two.



That evening we went to a Broadway musical mash-up at the Palazzo, Baz
It was over-produced and kind of a downer about tragedies (Romeo and Juliet, Cabaret, The Great Gatsby).
It sounded like it would be better than it was.
We were having such a good time, we just chalked it up to an unusual experience!


What a magical interlude in the middle of the Christmas Rush  
and what a happy celebration of our fifty years together!
Here's to fifty more!


2 comments:

  1. I still can’t believe it has been 50 YEARS!!! What a wonderful milestone that not many in the world are able to claim! It looks like you sure had a fun two night getaway to the Aria and ate at some very nice restaurants. The food in the pics is beautifully prepared..yum! I am so happy you have been together for 50 years and I can’t wait to celebrate with you in March on the cruise! I love you Mom and Dad!!!❤️

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful tribute to 50 years!! I absolutely loved the story at the beginning about the wind and snow and dad guiding you and it being an analogy for your life together. I agree it’s the best decision you BOTH made! I’m glad you had such a lovely time celebrating in Las Vegas with yummy food as usual and I look forward to really celebrating on the cruise!!!

    ReplyDelete