Monday, April 18, 2016

A Relief Society Garden Walk and A Mindy/Jeff & Friends Stop-Over


Our RS April mid-week activity was a field trip to Red Hills Dessert Garden.
The morning was perfect for a garden walk in the sun, with temperatures in the low 70's.
Truthfully, this wimpy shade-seeker may not have gone if it had been much hotter.
 Also, my cute next-door neighbor and friend, Lilian, who is a member of the church but doesn't attend, 
wanted to go.
She likes to go to the Relief Society activities with me.




The desert has its own brand of beauty, 
and since moving to St. George, I have really come to appreciate it.



We walked on a stair path below the stream 
where we could view the Santa Clara River's native fish.


So many water-conserving plants were in bloom.






I love prickly pear jelly and marinade for chicken,
so I was interested to see this cactus.



After our tour, we enjoyed a picnic together. I enjoyed being with the sisters 
and am glad to know about this place 
so I can tell tourists when they come into the Chamber of Commerce, 
looking for fun things to do.

Thursday night, late, Mindy and Jeff, with friends, Jay and Nachele, arrived to stay overnight 
on their way for a weekend get-away to Las Vegas.
Next morning, while Roger was reporting for possible jury duty, I fixed them brunch.
Jeff and Mindy did their 9 mile run down Snow Canyon Parkway, in preparation 
for their half marathon that they will run in May with several of our family members.; 
Roger was going to run with them until he got that jury letter. 
He was sad.



I had fixed a veggie egg strata the night before, then baked it that morning.


I discovered a new yummy at Trader Joe's.
It's called Kringle, and it is a Danish pastry (there is NO PASTRY that rivals Danish pastry).
The instructions say how you can freeze it, thaw it out the night before and serve it the next morning, 
so I saved it until we had house guests.
Divine!



I always fix candy bacon when Mindy comes. . . 


. . . and fresh strawberries.


Roger got home just in time to eat.
He might have gotten just a little carried away when I said, "Smile!"


It's been a great spring!

4 comments:

  1. The garden walk looks so beautiful with the vivid red rocks and soil and the bright flowers and cactus green. What a fun RS activity!
    You are the best hostess - that breakfast looks so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't heard of that garden walk. I'd like to do that next time I'm in St. George. It looks like you timed the blossoming flowers perfectly. It's so nice that you get to see your kids on their way to and from Utah.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, who wouldn't smile big with a delicious breakfast like that in front of them? You are such an amazing cook and hostess. We did that garden walk, but did it in the heat of summer and I nearly melted. You had much better timing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that Lilian went with you on the garden walk with the Relief Society sisters! I agree with your comment about how you have had to learn to appreciate the beauty in the desert...I feel the same way. The desert in bloom is quite beautiful. I love the photos...looks like a fun, happy outing!
    I'm so glad Mindy and Jeff got to stay with you on their way to St. George. What a delicious looking breakfast you served...I love dad's giant smile! That is how I feel when I get to eat your yummy food too!

    ReplyDelete