Wednesday, November 14, 2018

Bonuses to Living in St. George

Thinking back to when I first knew we were moving to St. George, I confess I thought we would feel a bit isolated. 
When we lived Up North for so many years, I always felt in the middle of the action, 
the crossroads of the west, so to speak.
I have been so pleasantly surprised for the last fifteen years how much in the action we really are down here!
There are many wonderful bonuses, living in this desert!
We head to Las Vegas, which is less than two hours away, to shop, eat amazing food 
and to celebrate my birthday and our anniversary each year.


I am in my twelfth year of directing our Branch choir, and during these years 
I have become acquainted with amazing guest violinists, many from DSU, 
who have shared their talents and accompanied us.
Last Saturday, we were invited to and attended this cute gal's recital.
There is much musical talent in St. George!


Sunday, we had 45 sing, Onward Christian Soldiers in our INSTA-CHOIR in Sacrament meeting 
to pay tribute to our veterans and all Christian soldiers fighting the battle for Christ.
Another special friendship (Jane sings in the Interfaith Chorale) led to our attending 
a special Veteran's Day program in the St. George Tabernacle. 
How I love this historic pioneer building! 
We have attended many special programs here through these fifteen+ years we have lived here, 
our favorites being the Keynotes Christmas and spring concerts to hear my sister, Kay.




Roger looks forward to wearing his Air Force pilot flight uniform every Veteran's Day, 
and because it was on a Sunday this year, we, with many, celebrated on Monday.
Many restaurants offer free meals for vets, mostly on Sunday this year, and Kneader's offered theirs on Monday.





Probably my favorite bonus about living in St. George is it brings us lots of company! 
Our kids love to visit us here and sometimes we get our brothers and sisters to stop by.
My sister, Patty, and her husband, Hal, home from their Church mission to Kona, stopped by to see us Monday 
and stayed with us overnight. 
They were on their way to Sedona to meet up with friends.
They arrived just in time for Roger's free lunch!






Roger and Hal golfed nine holes that afternoon while Patty and I chatted away. 

Rog took this pretty pic on the top of The Point.


We got to have a happy mini-sister reunion (we missed you, Joan!). 
My sister, Kay, came over for dinner with us - Ken was out of town. 





Kay baked a delicious pumpkin dessert - wish I had a pic!

So, in just a little over a week, we enjoyed some of the great bonuses of living here. 
Approaching this Thanksgiving season, we feel so very blessed! 


7 comments:

  1. Lucky you for getting so many visitors. I am amazed that Roger can still fit into his AF uniform. What a guy!
    Your dinner looks amazing! So sad I missed it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was such a fun night and delicious food! Thank you for including me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love those sisters of yours!...you scored big time in the sister department😀. Dad looks so great in his uniform...I’m glad you got at least one restaurant visit in this year😜. I also love how great St. George has been for you guys. Maybe one day I’ll get to live there😍. Your branch is lucky to have such an amazing director for so long. I know how much time, thought, effort and love you put into that calling and it shows!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for hosting us and for the delicious dinner and breakfast! It was so fun to see Kay and have an opportunity to get caught up a little - we still have lots more catching up to do!! Yes! I agree that Roger looks amazing in his flight suit!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so happy you and Dad have loved living in St. George! We love visiting you there. Your branch is super lucky to have you lead the INSTA Choir and provide such beautiful music for all to enjoy. I am glad you got to hear Kay’s group sing and the violinist play. I am glad Patty got to visit overnight and have a fun lunch with you and Dad and then a nice dinner with Kay too! Sisters are the best! Dad looks like a teenager in that flight suit...he really doesn’t age! What a fun tradition for him to get dressed up in his flight suit. I am glad Kneaders offered a free lunch on Monday this year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. St. George really is awesome!! I can’t believe it’s been that long that you’ve been directing insta choir. Time flies. They are so lucky to have you share your tremendous talent with them all these years. I always love seeing dad in his flight suit and hat. He can still rock it!! Your sister time looks fun as always. Thank goodness for sisters!!😍😍😍

    ReplyDelete