Monday, October 15, 2018

Musicals, A "Friend"-ly Dinner and A Fry Toast

When we moved to Dixie from Up North, I thought we would be leaving behind excellent theater, 
which abounds on the Wasatch Front.
Boy, was I wrong!
Tuacahn, nicknamed "Broadway in the Canyon," is world class. This spectacular amphitheater, set against spectacular red cliffs and often using a recycling and stage-covering water feature, 
pairs up with Dreamworks to produce many familiar Disney shows, as well as their brand-new ones. 
And many other great musicals as well.
I'm talking Screen Actor's Guild actors, professional dancers 
and impressive outdoor sets, including high-wire flying.



Because I volunteer at the St. George Area Chamber of Commerce, I receive two free tickets to all of their shows. 
Roger and I usually wait until the end of September to go, hoping for cooler weather.
We got a range of weather this year.
In spite of the temperature being in the 90's, we enjoyed this spectacle about the story of Moses.



Matilda was about a wise little girl born in a very dysfunctional family. 
It was clever, sometimes funny and a bit dark for little children and we enjoyed it, 
sitting through intermittent sprinkles.



This classic was my favorite and I liked the Rogers and Hammerstein version. 
There was dramatic lighting and staging, and I loved the humor and the beautiful music. 
It was worth sitting through it in a definite cold snap.



We have other theater venues here that showcase local talent.
I have volunteered at the Chamber for about 8 years and my fun "boss" 
who works for the Chamber is Susi Lafaele.
She hasn't ever really acted before, but The Brigham Playhouse people 
needed a Bloody Mary in their production of South Pacific.
We had to go see that!
She said they had to keep telling her to be rougher and not so nice!



The Taylors invited us and Stenerutts, who were in town, over for a yummy dinner. 
It was so fun to catch up with Pat and Clyde, who are friends of the Taylors 
from when they lived in Sacramento and they went on our Grand European River Cruise with us. 
They are now our friends, too.



And our French fry toast was to our nephew, Adam Gabrielsen. 
We remember him on his birthday every year by going out for a burger and fries, his favorite!
The lessons we learned from having him with us for a few years will not be forgotten!


So there you have it! It has been a long, hot summer and yay! 
The fresh, cooler air of fall is underway!

6 comments:

  1. I love the French fry toast!! You guys are the best. You really do have great theatre in st. George! I love Tuachan and I loved Matilda. Looks like you had more fun with your cute friends too. I’m glad the weather is finally cooling off for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cute way to honor and remember Adam with a French fry toast on his birthday! I am so glad you were able to meet up for dinner with your friends from the river cruise! What a happy reunion! I love Tuacahn and it sounds like they put on some great shows this year. Cinderella is one of my favorites too. I love the music and staging...especially when her rag dress turns into a beautiful gown. I so glad the weather has finally cooled off for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also, I bet it was so much fun to watch your friend play Bloody Mary in Sourh Pacific too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those shows all look so great!!! That’s a sweet sweatshirt you are wearing in the cold snap picture! I want to join your Adam toast sometime. 😀

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Tuacahn and I love that you do the fry toast to Adam. I had it on my calendar and we had planned to have a hamburger and fries in honor of Adam, but then we spent the entire day on a plane flying to England ;(

    ReplyDelete
  6. We will have to go with you one of these times to a production at Tuachan! It looks like a fun place to see a great show!!
    You guys are so cute to always remember Adam's Birthday!!

    ReplyDelete