Thursday, July 5, 2018

HAPPY - Father's Day, Birthday, 4th of July AND . . . Eating!

Seems that we have been doing some summer celebrating.
And each of these celebrations involved some seriously good eating!

Father's Day found Roger and I home and he celebrated his most excellent fatherhood 
with wonderful church meetings, heart-felt calls and cards from his children 
and a delicious grilled salmon dinner. 
I fixed a Mexican street corn salad that was yummy. 



I made a vanilla bean pudding from scratch and baked an angel food cake, 
then made a strawberry trifle. Roger loves strawberries!


We made a quick trip up north for a wedding reception (Jeff's youngest sibling, 
Steve, got married in the Payson Temple) and I got a long-overdue haircut from Jessica. 
And Roger and I visited my Aunt Grace in her lovely new surroundings. 
She recently sold her home and moved to a Retirement Living Center. 
It was wonderful to surprise her and we visited for over an hour. 
She looked great and I wish we had remembered to get a pic. 
Blake had recently turned ten and we took him out for his favorite for his birthday present - 
a burger and fries!



The 4th of July found us back home in St. George 
and Roger and I decided to invite some friends over for a hamburger cookout.



Our friends Kathy and Lorin Nielsen and Suzanne and Neil Dixon were our fun guests.
Kathy brought a delicious potato salad and green salad and Suzanne brought a large fruit plate. 
I fixed summer tomato bruschetta, baked beans and double-fudge brownies 
to go with Red Barn's maple nut ice cream. 
Red Barn in Santaquin is our favorite stop when we travel up north in the summer 
and we always get their delicious maple nut ice cream.




I told the kids that the only form of fireworks we had - 
Trader Joe's "popping" candy cookies!
They were delicious, by the way. 
Trader Joe's doesn't make a bad cookie!


Las Vegas has a Restaurant Week every year to raise money for charity 
and to allow people to try a pris fixe menu in participating restaurants. 
There are so many wonderful restaurants to choose from and I finally picked one 
for us to try for lunch on our day trip to Vegas.  
(I read through every single lunch menu!) 
It was Public House on Restaurant Row in the Venetian. 
And their food was even more delicious that it sounded on the menu!

Roger and I shared each other's picks:
Heirloom watermelon and fresh fig salad 

Wagyu beef nachos

Fresh halibut on lobster mashed potatoes

Wagyu short ribs on truffle mashed potatoes - and we had create your own dessert, choosing your base and toppings  - I had butterscotch pudding base and Roger had blackberry cobbler base, each topped with amazing toppings, including homemade ice cream, cookies, sauces, etc. YUM!

And while we are on the topic of food, I've just thrown in a couple of pics of recent food I've fixed.
One of Roger's clients gave us some delicious fresh apricots from his garden.

Tyler Florence's pancakes with apricot syrup

Grilled salmon marinated in apricot gastrique with grilled fresh apricots

Happy celebrating Summer and Happy Eating to all!

7 comments:

  1. Wow! Now I'm really hungry. It looks like you celebrated in style. I would love your corn salad recipe . . .and Aunt Grace's new address.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So much yummy food for so many fun occasions! You have a great photographer - he could get a job with a magazine for "foodies"! I am so glad that you were able to visit Aunt Grace! I wrote her a long text, but have not heard back from her. I am happy to hear that she is living in a goodo place and doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like another fun trip up north! Cute pic of Blake! You always make a BBQ so festive and delicious!..your friends are lucky to have you😀 that Las Vegas food looks amazing..but your last two dishes looked even better! Yum!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am glad Dad celebrated Father’s Day in style with a delicious looking meal! We are all so lucky to have him in our lives!❤️

    I love that you had your friends over for dinner on the 4th of July! It was so fun to see this adorable festive table setting in person last weekend! Mom, the food dishes you made look absolutely delicious...the Las Vegas Restaurant Week Public House doesn’t have anything on you! The food you ate at Public House does look very delicious, but you are just as amazing of a chef...Maddy, Max, Luke and I can attest to it! We just had the privilege of eating the most delicious ribs I have had in my life last weekend when we got to stay with you! What a fun tradition you and Dad have of going to Restaurant Week!

    I am so glad you were able to attend Jeff’s brother’s reception and visit your Aunt Grace...you and Dad are always so supportive of loved ones... we are all so lucky to have such loving and caring parents!❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete
  5. I forgot to mention the adorable photo of Blake with his French fries! What a fun birthday surprise to get to go to lunch with grandma and grandpa!😊

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow so many fun and festive parties!! These food pics are about killing me...everything looks crazy delicious!! I’m glad Dad had a nice Father’s Day and your 4th party sounded so fun. Thanks for coming to Stephen’s reception that was so nice of you guys. Just a side note they got married in the Payson temple. Blake looks so cute and happy with his burger and fries!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I’m usually to blogging and i actually appreciate your content. The article has genuinely peaks my interest. Assamese status | Assamese Quotes

    ReplyDelete